Wednesday 30 October 2013

30 DAY CHALLENGE - Day 29

Day 29 - A Book You Liked But Everyone Else Hated


I was so looking forward to reading this book with my online reading group.  I had read it once already and, in spite of its "streams of consciousness" style, I was able to just let myself go and flow along with the character's thoughts, almost as if you were lying in a stream and letting the water rush over you.  Well, as it turned out, most readers were put off by Woolf's manner of writing and found the book to be confusing and not particularly cohesive.  

While I was surprised by the reactions, I could understand them.  Some novels speak to certain people and not to others and this was obviously one of them.  I gave it five stars, but I suspect I was the only one.

No comments:

Post a Comment