Monday 25 August 2014

Bout of Books #11 - Update



And so my four weeks of read-a-thons comes to an end with Bout of Books read-a-thon #11.  And so does my vacation, and the reality of life sets in again.



I'm curious to see how many pages I read this week.  I felt I read more than each of the first three weeks, but then again, the one week I thought that I completely bombed, I actually read almost as much as the week before, so who knows?


The Man Who Was Thursday by G.K. Chesterton
~~  Chapter 5-15, p. 53-end (158 pgs)

Defence Speeches by Cicero
~~ p. 139-end (137 pgs)

The Sayings of the Desert Fathers
~~  p. 77-end (193 pgs)

Russian Thinkgers by Isaiah Berlin
~~   p.1 - 7 (7 pgs)  

Summer by Edith Wharton
~~  Complete (127 pgs) 

Montaigne's Essays
      On Sadness
~~   approx (10 pgs) 

Planets in Peril by David C. Downing
~~ p. 31- 53 (23 pgs)

Books completed:

Summer
Defence Speeches
The Man Who Was Thursday
The Sayings of the Desert Fathers

Total pages read:  655 pages


Wow!  I'm really surprised that I didn't make at least 700+ pages this week. So let's calculate my overall vacation reading:

Total pages read:  2,673 pages

Total books finished:  13 books

Oooo, I like the "books finished" number, but I was really hoping to read more pages.  Oh well, between swimming and kayaking and badminton and biking and hiking and socializing, I probably did reasonably well.

How did your reading go this summer?  Do you feel that you've had more time to read?  Less?  Are you satisfied with your goals?


4 comments:

  1. Ooh, I look forward to your review of The Man Who Was Thursday. The only Chesterton I've read was his biography of St. Francis of Assisi, and I enjoyed it immensely. I loved his style of humor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Man Who Was Thursday was a riot, but I'm not sure I picked up half of what Chesterton was saying. Yes, my review should be interesting, since I'm not sure where to start. :-) Chesterton is a treasure; I'm not sure why he's not more widely read. Even if you don't want to search for the deeper meaning behind his narrative, his stories are excellent!

      Delete
  2. Good work, Cleo :)

    I'm still working on my 20 books of summer (got just under a month left til the beginning of autumn, and I think I have 3 left. I've not kept up with reviews though - just written something on Sense and Sensibility, now have reviews to write for Moby-Dick (dreading it), Middlesex (it's a hard one to write about), and The House of the Dead by Dostoyevsky (and I'm worried too much time has lapsed!). So wish me luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck, O! I have tons of backlogged reviews too ---- the perils of reading like a house on fire and not balancing the reviews. Sigh! I hope to see your Dostoyevsky review and Moby Dick, too. Since I saw that you gave the latter 3 stars, I'm curious as to your thoughts on it. It's still on my TBR pile!

      Delete